Sunday, May 2, 2010

Getting In the Mood


"You ask me to have lunch, tell me you slept with Elaine, and then say you're not in the mood for details. Now you listen to me. I want details and I want them right now. I don't have a job, I have no place to go, you're not in the mood? Well you get in the mood!"



Anyone who knows me might tell you I'm obsessed with Seinfeld, so there you go. A great quote. I want to know who DOESN'T think that show is brilliant so I can punch them in the face. 

Back to the story, however, because I do have a point.

     
     "Trish, why don't you come over and sit with me for a minute. I need some attention."


     "Eh, I don't feel like it. I'm watching reruns of Buffy and eating Oreos."


     "I like Oreos. Bring them with you. Please. You've been ignoring me for nearly three days."


 I sigh and roll my eyes, trying to push away the immediate rush of annoyance flooding my veins. Why can't I just do it when I'm in the mood? Still, I did promise to be there, and all that other jazz. I suppose this is technically one of the duties I took on when I created this monster. I brush the crumbs off my lips, push the dogs out of my way, and climb off the couch. 


      "Fine. I'll give you an hour."


      "I'd be happy with twenty minutes."


So I give in, agree to just one hour of my time. Before long, the time passes without me realizing it - getting into the mood is surprisingly easy. All I had to do was let it wash over me, feel it, immerse myself in it...and it feels so good I never want to stop, never want to wait three whole days in between again.










Gotcha.


The above is a conversation between me and my WIP, whom I have been neglecting, poor baby. My trip out of town killed my mojo. I'm having trouble getting into the mood to write. Like getting into the mood for other things, sometimes all it takes is just to close my eyes and give it five or ten minutes. Usually, if the story (or the other person) is enthralling, the mood quickly follows the simple act of engaging.


So here I go to engage with my WIP. I might have to coax my characters out of hiding, and I might throw out every word I write this evening, but at least the juices will be flowing again. Wink.











5 comments:

  1. Wowza! Great post!

    "I mean, really, what is the big deal? We go in there. We're in there for a while. We come right back out here. It's not complicated."

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start making out with my wip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Um... yes. Just do it, and all that jazz. Commit to the writing, and the juices will flow. Cough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL! Sometimes I'm not in the mood either, but once I start digging into my wip, I usually get in the mood. :)

    ReplyDelete